Re: New to Oracle... What training is needed? Skills to pickup?

From: BobNight <bobnight_at_aol.com>
Date: 1995/08/27

After you attend the Oracle classes, you are going to realize that there could be a lot of manual work to get useful information out of your system. I would recommend at least the DBA administration course for you and the application development courses for those designing the apps. I would also suggest that you use your internal resources as much as possible. I'm sure your management will ask you if you've already done this.

You didn't say how much data you had or what you're budget was. If you are supporting 10+ end-users, you're going to need at least Windows-based software tools. 50+ end-users you'll need some server-based tools (rules of thumb). Regardless of the system, you biggest cost is going to be labor. Everytime you can make a software purchase that saves hours of works, you're that much farther ahead.

I don't know which branch of Motorola you work for, but I'm sure there are some of these Platinum Technology tools in place.

> * Be able to design simple database structures & using Client SW like
> FoxPro, PowerBuilder to query & generate reports. (SQLnet).

My company has three products you ought to take a look at. Desktop DBA allows you to create and modify database objects, such as tables, indexes, users, roles, privileges, views, stored procedures, etc., from a Windows front end to any SQLnet connected Oracle database. SQL Coder does revision control of server objects, checks syntax, migrates objects across Oracle instances. ProReports quickly makes reports and generates SQL, including complex joins.

 > * Fine tuning of databases maybe of secondary importance. (Or is it?).

It depends on the size of the database and the needs of the end-users. You can get simple statistics with the SQLSpy product, or very intense monitoring with DBvision. To analyze your database with a series of snapshots, look to Easydba/Slueth. For storage management, check into TSReorg--at some point you will have to coalesce free extents in tablespaces.

> * Eventually, use Lotus Notes to query from Oracle Server for reports.

Platinum Technology has products which talk to Lotus Notes and Oracle at the same time.

In addition Platinum Education has courses in database administration and related topics. Feel free to call 800-442-6861 or 708-620-5000 for more information.

--Bob.

nightingale_at_platinum.com Received on Sun Aug 27 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message