Re: New to Oracle... What training is needed? Skills to pickup?

From: Jennifer Blair <BTT_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/08/27

In <patrick-2708951508530001_at_zigler-powermac.sps.mot.com> patrick_at_solarwind.sps.mot.com (patrick tan) writes:

>Hello,folks,
>I am in the midst of having my own Oracle server on an RS/6000 AIX
 3.2.5 box.
>We wish to achieve the following:
> * Be able to design simple database structures & using Client SW
 like
> FoxPro, PowerBuilder to query & generate reports. (SQLnet).
> * Fine tuning of databases maybe of secondary importance. (Or is
 it?).
> * Eventually, use Lotus Notes to query from Oracle Server for
 reports.

>But first, what training is needed? What skillset do we need?
>Most importantly, how do we pick up the SkillSet? Reading manuals &
 books would not make a person an expert.

>P.S: I have several PowerMacs which require a SQLnet for PowerMacs.
Does anyone have any clue on when Oracle is ready to have it available to us?

>------- -------------------- ------
>If "anywhere" is where you want to go,then any road would take you !!
>The future is yours to decide, the past is to be learnt & cherished."
> %%%%% Notice: My beliefs are entirely my own. %%%%%
>
>Patrick Tan
>Systems Engineer, Motorola

Patrick -

You're right - reading books alone won't do it. A few, short, intensive, hands-on classes is usually what the doctor ordered.

Some suggestions:

1.) An overview class - usually one day - of RDBMS and Client/Server Architecture if you or your staff are new to those concepts.

2.) Since you are using AIX, if that is anew skill-set, you should (at a minimum) have a 3 or 4 day Introduction to UNIX class. Even though your focus is on Oracle, you need to know how you can best utilize UNIX with Oracle. (For instance, setting up SQL files to run overnight with the cron command.)

3.) Next, if you've never used SQL, you need a good, solid, hands-on class with *lots* of time spent writing SQL. (60-70% hands-on time is ideal.) A two-day class is about right.

4.) After you master SQL, you need to learn PL/SQL, Oracle's procedural language extensions to ANSI-standard SQL. If you're going to do *anything* significant with Oracle, you need this simple programming lanaguage. Again, about two days should get you up to speed on the syntax, how to write simple database triggers, stored procedures, passing parameters to stored procedures, and functions. Again, 60 to 70% hands-on time actually writing PL/SQL programs is ideal.

5.)Looks like you won't need Oracle FOrms 4.5 or Reports 2.5, because you're using PowerBuilder and FoxPro, etc. I assume you'll get or already ahve training in those areas, as well.

6.) As far as the tuning, *someone* must take a database administration and application tuning class. Better to have more than one person, for backup purposes. (People get sick, take vacation, leave the job, etc.) A normal class of this type takes about 4 days.

This may seem like a lot, but it's only about two weeks -- and what a difference good training can make! Having an experienced person to guide you, give you tips and short-cuts, answer your questions as they appear -- it all helps to make you ready to 'hit the ground running'.

I hope this helps. There is so much more I could tell you, and would be glad to share if you'd like.

I also have an article that I wrote that you can pass along to your 'training manager', or whoever sets up your trraining:

  10 Mistakes Companies Make When Setting Up Client/Server Training

This could save you a lot of stress and money. Let me know if you want a copy.

My small training company provides all of the above training, but there are also many other reputable companies that do an execellent job. Be sure to research qualifications and costs, and have your technical people talk to theirs before-hand.

Good luck to you!

Jennifer Blair, President
Blair Technical Training
Alexandria, VA 22310
email: BTT_at_ix.netcom.com Received on Sun Aug 27 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message