Re: Dynamic table columns

From: S. Kannan <skannan_at_cardinal.fs.com>
Date: 1995/08/25

Thierry Reigner (thierry_at_nada.kth.se) wrote:
: Hello,

: I'm new in this field and I'm creating my first application.
: I have a problem with column type definition. I would like
: to have a dynamic column. This column shall contain a text
: which maximum size can be fixed and may be big.

: Is there any simple way to specify it with the variable
: type combo-box in the Mapping Tool?

: I'm running WV 2.0 with Oracle OCI 7.0.15

: Thierry Reignier
: email: thierry_at_nada.kth.se

I am not sure I understand the "dynamic column" You cannot dynamically add and drop columns. If you are referring to a big variable size use the VARCHAR2 data type. This will store upto 2000 characters. If you want more use the LONG data type to store upto 2GB of variable length data. If you need to store long binary data of upto 2GB, use the LONG RAW.

Refer to the section Datatype on Pg. 2-20 of the ORACLE7 Server SQL Language Reference Manual.

Hope this helps.

Kannan
Email: skannan_at_fs.com
Mastech Systems Corporation

The above are my own comments and opinion. They do not purport that of
anybody else.