Re: GPFs on Dev/2000. Can anybody help me please??

From: Porus H. Havewala <porus_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: 1995/08/25

Gidday,

> I'm using here a tryial version of Dev/2000 (4.5.5) and everything is
> going very well. I'm experiencing GPFs, but only 1-2 a day.
>
> I have a customer that has a big problem. Delayed schedule and many
> GPFs a day! It's uncessary to say that they are very unhappy and
> searching for a solution, using or not using Dev/2000. They need the
> system working, only.
>
> We're using W4WG with MS-TCP/32, SQL*Net TCP 1 and Oracle 7.1.4 for
> SCO Unix. We don't have NetWare here; only a Lan Manager server for
> Linux (SAMBA), using the standard network software bundle with W4WG.
>
> We have machines with 8 and 12 MBytes. 12 MBytes are much faster, but
> 8 MBytes are only slower - no GPFs. We have also big (20-40 MBytes)
> permanent SWAP areas for Windows and about 50 MBytes of free space
> in the hard disk.
>
> They were using Windows 3.1, NetWare and SQL*Net V2. They changed all
> the software to W4WG, MS-TCP/32, Net v1 and so forth. It's not working
> yet! It seems bo be other kind of problem, not the enviroment. I'll
> try yet to enlarge the free space on the disk and search for other
> problems in the enviroment.
>
> One thing that can be the problem is that our programmers here are
> using a feature of Forms 4.5 for referencing groups of objects (I
> don't know this feature; I don't know Forms 4.5 :-( ). My customer
> is using other strategy: they are referencing each object one-by-one.
> This way, they have much more references than us. I think that it
> can be the problem, because it's the only difference in the way of
> working with Forms 4.5 (you know; each new way to work with a software
> new bugs you find.). I'm looking for other differences in the way of
> working with Forms 4.5, but I'm looking for experiences with you,
> from comp.databases.oracle, for speeding up my solution.
>
> The biggest problem is that they are *losting* the work with the GPFs;
> source files are getting demanged! Many guys working every day and
> producing nothing! That's a problem. Another team, for other project,
> is using SQLWindows, with no GPFs. Onece they need to implement other
> programs, it's not impossible to change from Forms 4.5 to SQLWindows.
>
> I use SQLWindows and I'm happy. But I'm happy with Forms 4.5 as well.
> It's not good to change from Forms 4.5 to SQLWindows only because I
> could not find the problem.
>
> Can somebody help me??? Any experience??

Carlos, no. 1, your programmers should upgrade to the new stable release of Developer 2000 (Forms 4.5.6). Why are you using a TRIAL version for production, for pete's sake?

Your customer should also be upgraded to the latest release of Forms 4.5.6 runtime.

Also, you can look at Oracle's Case tool Designer 2000 for speeding up 70-80% of your forms and reports generation.

We here in Australia have found the latest release of Developer 2000 VERY stable, and very powerful. No problems.

Regards,

Porus. Received on Fri Aug 25 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message