Re: redo log sequence

From: David S. Kaufman <dkaufman_at_popmail.mcs.com>
Date: 1995/08/23

>Just a quick question: How can I go about resetting the redo log >sequence
>counter back to 1 again? It's up over 13,7xx.

Shut down the database, and from within SQL*DBA you execute a "startup mount"
After that you execute an
Alter database open resetlogs;

NOTE!!!: After doing this the database will not be able to be recovered to a point in time before the reset.

This will set the log sequence back to 1, and then if you were to to any sort of recovery. The recovery process would allow you to start with a backup prior to the reset and apply logs only up to the reset. The other scenario would allow you to use a backup after the reset and move forward through the log files. This means that after the reset do a backup immediately. Received on Wed Aug 23 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message