Re: archiving oracle database

From: Dale E. Benjamin <dbenjamin_at_fcpa.fujitsu.com>
Date: 1995/08/22

Our database is 12 gig. We archive redo logs. A nightly hot backup is performed, and once a week we do a cold backup. We use compress on the database files during the hot and cold backups.

As a rule, we do not perform exports. However, we can still fit an export file within the 2gig limit. That's because our 12 gig database is only 50% full. We found that a 0% free copy of the database was about 5.5gig, and the export file that we used to create it was 1.4 gig.

I believe there is a way to export to tape, possibly thru pipes? Perhaps some one else here can say how this could be done.