Re: Personal Developer/2000 for Windows

From: Rick Rutt <rrutt_at_delphi.com>
Date: 1995/08/22

<doadams_at_ibm.net> writes:

>I have the trial CD-ROM from Oracle. Will Developer work with 16MB. The reason
>I ask is that the READ.ME says the database needs 8MB and developer needs 16MB.

For a while, I ran Personal Oracle 7 and Oracle Forms 4.5 on a 16 MB Windows machine. It page faulted a LOT, but it ran.

In fact, Forms 4.5 page faults a lot on this machine even without Personal Oracle running. It just page faulted even worse with the database running.

Lately, I have been running the Gold release of Windows 95. This has a much smarter and smoother page-faulting algorithm than Windows 3.1, and makes life in Oracle Forms less painful on a 16 MB machine.

We have finally convinced our management that new machines bought for Oracle Forms developers should have 32 MB. (Actually, I think 24 MB would be fine, but getting over the 16 MB conceptual barrer was the main victory.)

  • Rick --

(Rick Rutt is a system architect living and working in Midland, Michigan.) Received on Tue Aug 22 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message