Re: Shared Memory Problem - Solaris 2.4 Oracle7.1.6

From: Nalini Vallampati <nalini.vallampati_at_daytonoh.attgis.com>
Date: 1995/08/22

>In article <41a3hd$9so_at_epx.cis.umn.edu> Gerald Skerbitz writes:
>Nalini Vallampati <first.last_at_xxxxxxx.aaaaa.bbb> wrote:
>>>In article <culbertsDDFDAp.9vx_at_netcom.com> Lon Culbertson writes:
>>>Gerald Skerbitz (gsker) wrote:
>>>: I've just installed Oracle on Solaris2.4 but I can only connect as oracle.
>>>: I can't connect as any other user.
>>>: The database is installed on thor.
>
>What did you do to get this error to appear on your system?
>

>>Try this :
>>
>>Enter user-name: $
>>$ sqlplus scott/tiger
>>
>>SQL*Plus: Release 3.1.3.5.1 - Production on Thu Aug 17 09:29:16 1995
>>
>>Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1994. All rights reserved.
>>
>>ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
>>ORA-07429: smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment.
>>NCR System 3000 Error: 2: No such file or directory

>>SQLDBA> connect internal
>>Connected.
>>SQLDBA> startup mount
>>ORACLE instance started.
>>Database mounted.
>>SQLDBA> alter database open;
>>Statement processed.
>>SQLDBA> exit
>>SQL*DBA complete.

<cut cut cut >

>I did an alter database open immediately after bringing the databases up.
>It didn't seem to have any effect at all.
>What did you think it would do?
>

>Thanks a lot for your help. I'm really grasping at straws now.
>
>--
>Gerry

Gerry, I reproduced the error by trying to get into SQL*Plus without starting the
database.

Hmm, how about checking these :

Check the owner of the Oracle executable, and check the owner of the memory segment, they should match. ( What is the Solaris equivalent of ipcs -b ?). Check the group too, just to make sure there is no anamoly.

Make sure that you did a "startup mount", rather than a "startup restrict", since
the latter typically gives access to DBA privileged users ( which might explain why only Oracle is able to log into SQL*Plus ) The error you got was a ORA-1034, database not available. If you had got ORA-1035, that means that the database is available to users with RESTRICTED session privilege ( typically DBA users). I hope this gives you some leads to the solution.

Oh, BTW, did you contact Tech Support ?

Nalini

Nalini Vallampati
UNIX Admin/Oracle DBA
AT&T Capital - Global Information Solutions Miamisburg, OH 45342 Received on Tue Aug 22 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message