Re: PL/SQL write capability?

From: Saad Ahmad <sahmad_at_mfa.com>
Date: 1995/08/21

Tony Hong (thong_at_Primenet.Com) wrote:
> I am relatively to Oracle & PL/SQL, so forgive me if my questions is
> trivial. (I can't find the answer in any FAQs and I don't have the
> docs.). Is it possible to open and write to a UNIX file through PL/SQL?
> What I would like to do is to create a file with formated output everytime
> a table is updated , and I was thinking of using a trigger. Also, how
> about the ability to execute a shell script from a trigger?

I don't think u would be able to do this directly.

Use the dbms_pipe package and write a detached process in a 3rd GL which would listen on the pipe and do an action. If you want to maintain a log, you would send a message over the pipe and the program on the other end would maintain the file.

*                          Saad Ahmad                        *
*                          McHugh Freeman & Associates, Inc. *
*                          Ph:  (414) 798-8606 Ext. 457      *
*                          Fax: (414) 798-8619               *
*                          E-Mail: sahmad_at_mfa.com            *