Re: Oracle Server on Intel - Comments & Experiences?

From: Timothy Wong <roadgoat_at_crl.com>
Date: 1995/08/21

Mark Ursacki (mursacki_at_onramp.ca) wrote:
: sblackwe_at_ wrote:
: >
: > Does anyone have any comments or experience with any of the Oracle server
: > products for Intel (NT, Solaris or UnixWare)? I'm really interested in
: > any larger scale implementations - 100+ concurrent users, 5GB+ database size.
: >
: > Steve Blackwell
: > DBCORP Information Systems
: > Calgary, AB

: *************************************************************
: Hi Steve:

: We were running a 500+ MB V7 database on the Novell 3.11 NLM platform
: with a Compaq ProLiant 2000 66MHz Pentium/64MB RAM. With approx 10
: users the system basically fell over and couldn't handle the load. We
: were also using SQL*Net for IPX/SPX tools on the PCs. On a local 16MB
: token-ring lan, the client/server performance for most queries was
: fine (approx 1-2 seconds). However, across a 56KB wide area network
: these queries could take up to 15 seconds!

: Since this rather painful experience, we have moved the database
: to an HP 9000 G50 under HP-UX 9.04 in good old character based
: host/terminal mode. (So much for client/server...)
: Our vt220 emulation on the PCs is very fast on both the local and
: wide area networks. The 15 second queries on the WAN are now approx
: 2-5 seconds.

: From the size of your requirements, I would guess that you should
: look at a faily substantial RISC/Unix box, and skip the Intel platform.

: Good Luck! Mark Ursacki, Toronto, Ont, Can mursacki_at_onramp.ca

--

Tim Wong
roadgoat_at_crl.com