Re: Oracle7 for Win NT auto startup

From: Ken Weir <Kweir_at_toronto.cbc.ca>
Date: 1995/08/19

woolcsr_at_texaco.com (Scott R. Woolcock) wrote:

> I'm new to NT, so I'm having to learn as I go on it.
>
> How do I get Oracle to automatically start when NT starts up? I've got
> the 'services' (SQL*Net) starting automatically, but can't figure out how
> to make the DB come up at system startup.
>
> Conversely, is there a way to shut Oracle down cleanly when NT comes
> down? It may be doing it already, but I can't get verification from
> anybody or anywhere.
>
> Can anybody help?

To do this call the Oracle Faxback line (415-506-8438) line and request Fax Bulletin #1705.

I'll quickly summarize the faxback doc.

  1. Start the NT Registry - REGEDIT32
  2. In the registry, go down the following tree: (The NT GUI registry is very similar to the windows GUI registry but is much easier to use.)

HKey_local_machine
  software

     microsoft
        WindowsNT
           current version
             winlogin

3) Within the WINLOGIN item, edit the SYSTEM entry and append a command line which points to a startup command file (.CMD file), something like the following, for example: C:\ORANT\STARTDB.CMD
(remember to separate the commands with a comma (,) delimiter.

4) Create the file STARTDB.CMB in your favorite editor (for example Notepad). In it put

C:\ORANT\BIN\ORADIM71 -startup -sid orcl -usrpwd oracle -starttype srvc,inst

This will startup the database after NT has started. I tried it and it works.

To shutdown the database when NT is being shutdown, I am not sure. There may be another entry in the registry to execute .CMD files before NT is shutdown. In this CMD you could put a command line like in the STARTDB.CMB to shut down the database.

Matt. Received on Sat Aug 19 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message