Re: distribute database files across disks

From: Michael Marsden <mmarsden_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1995/08/19

Mr Angus Beare (ucfaabe_at_ucl.ac.uk) wrote:
: I want to experiment with using multiple disks for my
: database storage. I'm hoping this may improve performance.

: I have one worry. What if one of the disks fails? How will
: Oracle behave? Will it still function if a tablespace datafile
: is unavailable?

: What are the pros and cons?

: I'm using Oracle7/SunOS 4.1.2.

: thanks for any comments

: Angus

: --
: Angus Beare

At the risk of sounding brash, it's all in the Database Administration manual. Multiple disks is the 'reccomended' setup. For fault recovery, you want to enable ARCHIVE_LOG mode. Read the section on Archive Log mode and media recovery. As long as you keep the archived redo logs safely backed up, there is no danger of you losing any data should a drive go down.

Michael Marsden
ORACLE Database Administrator
mmarsden_at_netcom.com

--
Michael Marsden                   "It's the car, right ? Chicks dig the car"
ORACLE Database Consultant                              -- BATMAN Forever --