Wfwg 3.11/SQL*NET V2 does DNS lookup for name WINPC?

From: Roy Kliewer <rkliewer_at_canfor.ca>
Date: 1995/08/19

During the course of doing network traces for a Windows client to NT server using the Oracle PING connection tester, I see strange name resolutions being attempted. First DNS lookup is for host specified in TNSNAMES.ORA with sucessful resolution. This is followed by 2 DNS name lookups being done for a name WINPC. First is WINPC.canfor.ca (our domain), return not found, next for WINPC, return from INTERNIC.NET not found (obviously). I find no references to this in our INI or TNS files. I added a HOSTS entry for this name to a none-Oracle TCP/IP host to see what would happen. First DNS for target host still ok and now no bogus lookups (HOSTS resolves first) and no network traffic to the host from windows client to the host pointed to. Any ideas, while I wait for DBA to discuss with Oracle? thx, Roy. Received on Sat Aug 19 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message