Re: Pro*C 2.0 and C++?

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/08/18

bgeerdes_at_igs.com (Bruce Geerdes) wrote:

>I believe somebody on this newsgroup stated that the Pro*C precompiler will not
>support C++ until the next release. What does this mean? Does the current
>precompiler choke on C++ code? My reading of the documentation leads me to
>believe that the Pro*C preprocessor takes what it can use/interpret (ie,
>#defines and #includes) and leaves the rest to the compiler's preprocessor.
>If this is the case, there should be no problems with C++ code, right?

>Any insights or comments would be appreciated!

>--
>--
>bgeerdes_at_igs.com (Bruce Geerdes)
>Don't blame me; I voted for Bill 'n Opus!

The Pro*C precompiler must parse all the C code, otherwise how can it recognise C variables to use as host variables? Unless it understands C++ code as well (which it doesn't) it will get confused.

Pro*C 2.1 can be used with C++, but it doesn't support it. There is a new precompiler option parse=no which disables the C parsing. This effectively goes back to v 1.6 where a declare section is required, so C++ 'support' is added by removing C support!

There is an Oracle support bulletin which discusses this. It is vague about future plans, but it implies that C++ support may not appear until OO support appears in Oracle8.

Jim Smith                      jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk
Oracle DBA