LSNRCTL.EXE problem... on VAX/VMS, TCPIP, Multinet

From: Nicki Anne Cartt <ncartt_at_magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Date: 1995/08/17

Our network problems are continuing - we actually have been transferred to an Oracle consultant who is helpful and really wants to get this problem solved for us, but so far no luck. The main problem, as it appears now, is starting up a version 2 listener (version 1 starts up)... Here's what I'm getting from LSNRCTL...

DNC> run lsnrctl

LSNRCTL for VMS: Version 2.1.3.0.0 - Production on 17-AUG-95 09:15:44

Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1994. All rights reserved.

Welcome to LSNRCTL, type "help" for information.

LSNRCTL> start
Starting PEWTER$DKB200:[ORACLE.ORACLE7.NETWORK]tnslsnr: please wait...

TNS-12545: TNS:name lookup failure
 TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
  TNS-00515: Name lookup failure
   VMS Error: 2: no such file or directory LSNCRCTL>

So, is LSNRCTL trying to run tnslsnr from the [.NETWORK] directory? Of course, it doesn't exist there, it's in [.NETCONFIG]. Further, if I run NETCONFIGUSER.COM, which is in the [.NETCONFIG] directory, the "starting" line changes to

    Starting ORA_ROOT:[NETWORK]tnslsnr: please wait...

with the same error. So, anyone out there know what VMS file or directory LSNRCTL is looking for? And I missing a logical assignment?

I have already sent along all my LISTENER.ORA, SQLNET.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA files (constructed through the Network Manager) to the consultant who sees nothing wrong. These files reside in [.NETWORK.ADMIN] directory. I also, just for the fun of it, copied tnslsnr to the [.NETWORK] dir - no go.

I'd appreciate any help, since these problems have been dragging on for weeks now, and it's driving me crazy (short drive)...

THANK YOU!!! Nicki
The Ohio State University Received on Thu Aug 17 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message