Asking for help in installing Personal ORACLE

From: wei he (martletts) <"wei>
Date: 1995/08/17

Hello,

I am trying to install Personal ORACLE on my laptop and have experienced some problems. If you know how to get away with them, could you please drop me anote. I am sorry for posting such a long message. I think this could make the problem much clear.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:

There is enough disk space on my PC and the memory status is as follow:

Memory Type Total = Used + Free
---------------- ------- ------- -------

Conventional         640K       50K      590K
Upper                 27K       11K       16K
Reserved             384K      384K        0K
Extended (XMS)     3,045K      217K    2,828K

---------------- ------- ------- -------
Total memory 4,096K 662K 3,434K Total under 1 MB 667K 61K 606K Largest executable program size 590K (604,496 bytes) Largest free upper memory block 15K (15,792 bytes)
MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.

I got a warning at the beginning of the installatio, which said:

        There may be insufficient memory for installation.

As the free memory is the maximum I can get, I carried on the installation despite the warning.

When the installation nearly finished, another message was shown, said:

    There was an error in starting up the Starter Database.     Please see the file C:\ORAWIN\RDBMS71\TRACE\BUILD.LOG.

In the log file, it said:

 Sometimes while installing Personal Oracle the starter  database may not be built because of lack of memory. After  installation follow these steps to build controlfiles:

1)In a DOS box or from the File Manager:

   delete ctl1.ora if present from your ORACLE_HOME\DBS    and ORACLE_HOME\RDBMS71\ARCHIVE locations delete    wdblog1.ora and wdblog2.ora if present from ORACLE_HOME    \DBS directory

2)In Windows fire up sqldba32.exe

3)At the "SQLDBA>" prompt run the install2.sql script   located in your ORACLE_HOME\DBS directory. For example   if my ORACLE_HOME was c:\orawin I would type:

  _at_c:\orawin\dbs\install2.sql

4)You will be prompted for the password for the internal   account.

5)if you get no errors you are all set and can exit sqldba32.exe.   if not look up the errors in the error codes manual and   debug the problem.

ORA-09368: Windows 3.1 Two-Task driver unable to spawn ORACLE
ORA-09368: Windows 3.1 Two-Task driver unable to spawn ORACLE
DBA-00302: not connected to a database
DBA-00302: not connected to a database
ORA-09368: Windows 3.1 Two-Task driver unable to spawn ORACLE

I followed steps (1) and didn't find the files mentioned. When I tried step (2), an error message appeared, said;

DBA-00314: unable to attach to default host. ORA-09368: windows 3.1 two-Task driver unable to spawn ORACLE.

I couldn't find the ORA-09368 in the Error Codes Manual.

Thank you for reading the message. I appreciate any response.

Wei

etlwihe_at_etlxdmx.ericsson.se   Received on Thu Aug 17 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message