Re: Replies so far

From: David T. Bath <dtb_at_bf.rmit.edu.au>
Date: 1995/08/17

tim_boemker_at_zacatecas.optimum.com (Tim Boemker) writes:

>You'll have a much better understanding of the qualifications one needs
>to be a DBA when you first ask what a DBA does.

And do not forget, this is changing, what with all that PL/SQL in the database written by programmers and all, you cannot be responsible for performance unless you are rummaging around vetting everyones code. And with SQL*Net V2 I'm going to head some decent network admin knowledge.

In my opinion, there are different sorts of DBAs depending on the nature of the shop you are in. In a few years there will be so much in the DBA area (from network, resource, application version management, etc) that in some shops the senior dba will be almost the MISmanager (and just as hands off).

David

--
---
David T. Bath       | dtb_at_ftp.bf.rmit.edu.au (mail=dtb_at_bf.rmit.edu.au)