Re: prevent table polling - How?

From: George Mari <mari.george_at_igate.abbott.com>
Date: 1995/08/17

odysscci_at_teleport.com (Jim Kennedy) wrote:

>I bring up sqlPlus on my handy dandy MS Windows machine and issue the commands
>to register interest in the alert. I cannot believe it it works with one
>small problem. While SQLPlus is executing the alert procedure I cannot run
>any other applications! Since I cannot change the platform, shaky as it is,
>of the client machine, does anyone know how to get around this problem?

Assuming you are accessing a remote server via SQL*Net and not using Personal Oracle on your Windows machine, it sounds like you are experiencing the dreaded 'SQL*Net for Windows not yielding the CPU' problem. This is a well known problem caused by SQL*Net not allowing Windows to process any other messages while its waiting for a response from the server, at least that's the way I understand it. You'll see it on any lengthy operation. I guess there's supposed to be a fix in an upcoming version of SQL*Net, but apparently the client program (such as SQL*Plus) has to explicitly take advantage of it, so it probably means new versions of your tools. (Does anyone know if this is available yet?)

Wait for Windows '95, NT, Unix etc., or try to keep your SQL or PL/SQL operation as short as possible.

(I'm sure that's not the answer you wanted to hear, but those are the facts.)

George Mari
Sr. Sci. Programmer
Abbott Laboratories Received on Thu Aug 17 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message