Re: Help - ORA-7307 unable to attach sga

From: John Bracken <johnb_at_jbracken.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/08/17

Mike Morgan <mike.morgan_at_teldta.com> wrote:

>daj653_at_rl.gov (David Johnson) wrote:
>>I have a need to install an Oracle V6.0.37.1.1 instance on a
>>development server, a Sun Sparc1000, running Solaris 2.3. I have
>>successfully installed V6.0.37.6.1, V7.0.16.6, V7.1.4 & V7.1.6.2 on
>>the same server. When I attempt to use the oracle.install (or
>>rdbms.install) to create the V6.0.37.1.1 instance, I get the Oracle
>>error message ORA-7307 when the database installation script enters
>>into SQLDBA and issues the 'startup nomount;' command. This same
>>Oracle software has been successfully installed much earlier on a Sun
>>Sparc 10 (also Solaris 2.3). I tried shutting down the other Oracle
>>instances to free all the shared memory, and then rerunning the
>>scripts, but I get the same error message.
>>
>>Any clues on this would be greatly appreciated!!
>>
>>Thank you all,
>>
>>David A. Johnson
>>Sun/Oracle Support
>>Network Operations
>>BCSR, Inc.
>>Richland, WA 99352
>>USA
>>(509) 373-0680
>>daj653_at_fep1.rl.gov
>>

>David,

>We have 6.0.37 and 7.0.16 and 7.1.6 running on the same machine. When I run the oerr
>utility I get the following:

>$ oerr ora 7307

>07307, 00000, "sms1sg: shmat error, unable to attach sga."
>// *Cause: Failed to attach shared memory segment, after having gotten it.
>// *Action: Check errno returned. Verify that SGA attach address is valid.
>// Check shared memory (ipcs) for hanging blocks.
>// If "invalid system parameter," check init.ora file.
>// Could also be a consequence of ora-7302.

>You might want to double check your init.ora file for syntax or obsolete parameters.

Sorry for including the above, but some background might be helpfull

check your /etc/system file and set shmseg, shmmax to their max rec Sun settings.

Also make sure that the code has been re-compiled under the box you are installing on. i.e. don't copy code from a Sparc 20 and expect it to run on a 1000.

John Bracken -- 'Gooden day, big-feller mine host! Trois Liverpool, UK beers pour favour avec us, silver plate' --
  • johnb_at_jbracken.demon.co.uk ..or.. jbracken_at_uk.oracle.com ======