Oracle Back End Question

From: Nocera <nocera_at_haven.ios.com>
Date: 1995/08/16

I am running Oracle 7.0 on the GIS 3500 machine and currently involved in tuning the database and its configuration. I have noticed that when I hit a busy table that my application process is sucking up tremendous amounts of CPU time. When I truss or use crash to view the processes (oracle front end or back end) , it is communicating in a very inefficient manner. The oracle front end is doing small reads and writes using a FIFO to the oracle backend, which is also doing small reads and writes to the oracle front end.

I am not using multi-threaded server.

If anyone whats to observe this for themselves try using

truss -p <pid of oracle front end>
and
truss -p <pid of oracle back end>

My question is does anyone know of a option to tell Oracle to use shared memory to communicate between its front and backend instead of this FIFO. The problem with the FIFO is that small reads and writes are causing lots of context switching, and lots of copyin and copyout of kernel space. Using shared memory, the data can be passed between the front and back end without context switching and copying and improve its CPU utilization.

Help Greatly Appreciated

Dave Received on Wed Aug 16 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message