Re: Replies so far

From: darryl snedeker <darryl.snedeker_at_amd.com>
Date: 1995/08/16

My last employer classified me as their 'Oracle Guy'. I did soup-to-nuts Oracle development work. You name the Oracle product, VMS utility, 3GL language, I had my gritty hands into it. As a consequence of having managed development projects, I acquired many DBA skills as well. But one thing you won't find are people going beyond the call of duty.

On average, an individual will look up or reference only what is necessary to fullfill the objectives of an assignment. My objectives were different as I wanted to be a DBA. I understood that begin a DBA is not a level above programming, but rather a type of work which ran parallel to programming just as I would consider System's administrators to be a type of programmer. While the programmers' clay may be the 'C' language, a system's guy language being Solaris, my expertise now lies with understanding the Oracle RDBMS.

My sole responsibility is to administrate a 500Gb world-wide implementation of Oracle. This responsibility goes well beyond creating objects, datafiles, or jumping on the fragmentation-panic bandwagon. The challenges of my job keep me busy 60+ hours a week. And when another IS professional whines about alledged disparities in pay, I remind the individual that I am the person who is taken from his family in the middle of the morning, day, or evening when a F*^*&ing device failure occurs. Incidentally, I have well over 300 of these buggers and believe it or not, they do fail.

Lastly, I don't know the nature of your shop, but I will say that I work with some of the most skilled applications developers and programmers in the commercial industry. I also recognize that I would not have the challenges before me today without having the talent around me. These individuals recognize my contribution as quite valuable and I intend on remaining valuable by sharing what I do know with those who do not and proving the pessimists wrong.

Your tone seems indicative of a person who does no coexist with such talent and this would be my only critical remark of you as a professional in that the DBA's or programmers should have enough time on their hands where they sit around, comparing pay stubs, comparing responsibilities and then make the crucial mistake of applying the shortcomings of their shop to the industry as a whole. Not a good thing.

-D Received on Wed Aug 16 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message