Re: NO Motif version of Developer/2000 ????

From: Vince Cross <vcross_at_bnr.ca>
Date: 1995/08/16

In article <DDEnG8.DKD_at_bcstec.ca.boeing.com>, Candy Robinson <candy_at_bcstec.ca.boeing.com> wrote:

>Hear, hear! I'm sure many others are in similar circumstances. We also use
>HP-UX on 9000's and I am not planning to move to the new CASE until it
>appears on Motif. I was told that market research showed that most
>customers wanted the product on Windows, which was a surprise to me. Are
>there really that many people doing development from PCs??
>--
If you wait for the new CASE tool to be released for Motif, you will get old and grey before you get CASE. Everyone at Oracle that I've talked to that was "in the know" when it comes to CASE has indicated that Windows is the ONLY platform for the foreseeable future.

However, since you also use HP-9000
series machines, you might be interested in a couple of things we found out last week. There is a machine called the HP-500 that is a hardware solution for those who need to run PC programs on their HP workstation or X-terminal. Basically, it is a server with one or more 90MHz P-5's and a 15 user floating license. Anything that runs on a PC should run on this. The other item of interest is the new Intel P-7 chip. This is being developed in conjuction with HP. Supposedly, Microsoft will be making Windows-NT available for P-7 machines. HP is convinced that Microsoft will rule the desktop computing world in the 21st century, so they are moving towards making the Windows OS's available for future machines. They will still support UNIX as an OS, but less development will be done in that area.

Vince Cross

--
* disclaimer - My views respresent NT/BNR in every way, NOT!
NOTE - my real email address is bartok_at_bnr.ca, NOT vcross_at_bnr.ca