Re: ??? Oracle VLM on 64-bit DEC Alpha 8400 running OpenVMS ???

From: Ole Oxvang <unibors_at_inet.uni-c.dk>
Date: 1995/08/16

Kevin P. Fleming (kpfhome_at_primenet.com) wrote:
: In article <40qs6t$jli_at_pong.lasc.lockheed.com>,
: g592291_at_mip.lasc.lockheed.com (Terry Veli) wrote:
: >There is a rumor spreading that Oracle7 VLM runs on a
: >64-bit DEC AlphaServer 8400 5/300 running OpenVMS.
: >
: >Does anybody know if this is true ?
: >
: >I would like to hear from a Beta site on this.
: >
: >One of our Oracle contacts says NO and
: >another says YES.

: I was under the impression that the Oracle/DEC VLM project was running on
: Digital Unix, not OpenVMS.

: Kevin Fleming, Reliable Networx, Inc.
: Phoenix, AZ
: Internet: kpfhome_at_primenet.com

Currently the Oracle/DEC VLM only runs under DEC Unix. Oracle/VLM needs a 64-bit OS to run on in order make a large SGA.

I've read somewhere that Oracle/VLM will be supported under OpenVMS by the end of the year. This implies that OpenVMS will also become a true 64-bit OS not far from now.

You should be able to read more about this on DEC's WWW (http://www.digital.com).

BTW: You are not the only one looking forward to the combination of Oracle/VLM and OpenVMS !!

Lars Bruun Hansen

---
Unibank Securities                                       2 Torvegade
Unibank A/S                                              DK-1786 Copenhagen V
                                                         Denmark
Tel. +45 33 33 33 33
Fax  +45 31 57 92 42
E-mail: unibors_at_inet.uni-c.dk