Re: Replies so far

From: Don Smith <eddas_at_huber.com>
Date: 1995/08/15

In article <1995Aug15.092232.5878_at_inet.d48.lilly.com>, frust writes:
|> From the responses so far here is what I have found...
|>
|> A programmer is never a DBA, no matter how much experience they have, unless
|> they are placed in the situation of being one.
|>
|> DBA's need no experience as long as they have the initiative to read the books
|> and have the funds to attend classes.
|> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|> Somewhat Cynical Response:
|>
|> And to think that I spent 4 1/2 years in technical school, and have been
|> learning about Oracle, creating basic/complex SQL scripts and views, creating
|> tables, dblinks, becoming a project leader and so on for the past 4 years. I
|> could of gotten that degree in philosophy and been a DBA, or a jumbo jet pilot.
|>
|> A DBA needs no experience...then Is the test to be a DBA is "Can you spell SQL?"
|> If it is, why then is there a perceived shortage of DBA's? I'm sure there are a
|> lot of people that can be put in a training program and then give them access to
|> the SYSTEM tablespace and watch them go. Why then when I applied for several
|> DBA positions about 15 months ago, the general reason why I was not hired was
|> that I needed MORE years of "PRACTICAL" SQL experience.
|>
|> I guess I was given the wrong impression of what a DBA does. I was told that a
|> DBA needs to know what Primary and Foreign keys are; to know what constraints
|> do; be able to read a DFD and be able to point out potential problems; know how
|> to create complex views; that developing in Oracle for a few years is important
|> so you have an idea what people are talking about and when problems arise you
|> have an idea where to start looking and so on. I guess I was wrong.
|>
|> __________________________________________________________________________
|> Closing:
|>
|> I guess the only way is for a person to become a DBA is to push their way into
|> the role or fall into it.
|>

|> ___!~~~~~!____
|> | |
|> | _at_ @ |
|> | ^ |
|> | === |
|> -------
|> "No Sense Makes Sense

	A DBA with no experience will soon get plenty of it. Some may actually
	be able to learn the job before anyone gets wise. Remember that if you
	know what a DBA is supposed to do, you are probably way ahead of whoever
	hired you.

Disclaimer: This opinion has nothing whatsoever to do with my work situation.
            I was hired long before there was any such thing as a DBA.
Donald A. Smith         No, that was JOHN Smith
eddas_at_huber.com         I have never met Pocahontas