Re: Creating Database - Help Needed

From: Doug Anderson <dganderso_at_figmnt.tayloru.edu>
Date: 1995/08/15

sturner_at_athena.mit.edu (Stephen Turner) writes:
> I'm trying to create a small 'test' database for an experiment but
> I'm running into problems.
> I've created a parameter file and set my logicals (this is a VMS)
> environment. I've gone into sqldba and started up an instance (nomount).
> I've then issued a CREATE DATABASE command.
> I've waited for ~4 hours for this command to complete. I know the manual
> says this may take a long time, but it seems excessive. All the files
> I specify are created. The process seems to be stuck in SQL.BSC ,
> creating the BOOTSTRAP$ table.
> My questions are - should the CREATE DATABASE statement take this long?
> How long should it take? What's my problem?

I just did a CREATE DATABASE on a VAX 4300 and it took less than an hour. The datafiles total somewhere around 475 Meg. Oh, and I'm using Oracle 7.1.3.2. Sorry, I don't have an idea what's the problem... other than you might check that you have enough quotas like big PGFLQUO and WSEXTENT.

  • Doug (DBA) Anderson at Taylor University - DGANDERSO_at_TAYLORU.EDU