Connecting to Oracle 7 Database using wfwg311

From: Ian N Venner <diggy_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: 1995/08/15

Connecting to a remote Oracle 7 database

I'm having some difficulty in connecting to an Oracle v7 database. This database is located at our head office, and hold our MRP databases with the front end to this running locally via a tcp/ip WAN.

I need to be able to connect to the database to extract information from it for another application, and have been given a read-only user access to the database.

I can get to the UNIX box holding the O7 DB (FTP,Telnet etc) but do not seem to be able to connect to the database.

My current Oracle ODBC settings are:

Data Source Name:                       Oracle Data Link

Data Source
Server:                                 128.1.1.1
Class:                                  generic
UserID:                                 ptuser
Attach Statement:                       ATTACH PTST

Database Options
Connect to database in Read only mode: Checked

Prompt for aux password on connect:     UnChecked
Transport:                              TCP/IP
DBI Options:                            0

Translation Options
Option:                                 0
Library:                                <blank>

Does anyone have any light they could shed on this matter? I seem to have reached a dead end.

Cheers.

| Sometimes I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life on |
| other planets, is that none of it has tried to contact us yet. |
| - Calvin to Hobbes |
| diggy _at_cix.compulink.co.uk | This space has intentionally |
| 100555.346_at_compuserve.com | been left blank |