Re: Designer/2000 ver. 1.0 (AKA 6.0.6) Bug list

From: Mark A. Kramm <kramm_at_pcnet.com>
Date: 1995/08/15

> jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com (Jeff Jacobs) writes:
> In <40bm1p$8p_at_empire.texas.net> kramm_at_pcnet.com (Mark A. Kramm) writes:
> >functions that have been designated as common. These modules should
 be deleted.

> This isn't a bug, its documented that way, and has worked that way in
> every version I've worked with (going back to 4.0). If nothing else,
> it lets you know that you have a function that doesn't have any CRUD,
> or that you may not have completely translated the ER Model to Design.
>
> You'll also find that if the same function is used by two different
> business units, it creates two different modules.
>
> Common functions create multiple modules because they have different
> labels and are considered different functions.
>
> If you don't want these, then simply reject them during the
> acceptance/rejection process. That's what its there for <grin>.
>
> -JJ
>
> Jeffrey Jacobs & Associates
> Oracle CASE Consulting and Training
> 951-2 Old Country Road, Suite 119
> Belmont, CA 94002

I know that it worked this way in the past. That still does not make it right.

If I wanted to know if I had functions without entities, or to check that I had finished my analysis before going to design, I would run the quality check reports that’s what they are for.

If a function is used by two different business units you should only create one module therefore creating one Form. In the Module Net work screen you will associate the form to the specific business units via menus. This will reduce the number of forms to maintain not to mention the time to create them.

Common function are just that. COMMON. to be implemented once, but documented in the logical model as being common via a master and one or more common functions. I would prefer that the tool would only create modules for those functions that are elementary and or for the master function of common functions. By the way a function that does not have any data associated with it and is marked as elementary , is created as a module of type Manual???

Thanks for taking the time to respond to this posting Jeffrey I respect you and your opinion as an experienced Data Architect.

Mark A. Kramm