Re: Can't describe table!

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/08/15

George Credland <G.Credland_at_shef.ac.uk> wrote:

>chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com (Chuck Hamilton) wrote:
>>There's a table in my Oracle 7.1 database with a lower case name. I
>>can access the table just fine by enclosing the name in double quotes,
>>but I can't DESCRIBE it to see the column names. How to I specify a
>>lower case table name in a DESCRIBE command?

>How did it get in there in the first place?

I exported a MS Access table. You can duplicate he problem by createing a table with a lower case name though by placing the table name in double-quotes.

create table "mytable" ( n number(5) );

Oddly enough I found I was able to describe it if I used the version of SQLPLUS on our HP-UX system, but not with the Windows client version.

To describe it using the Windows version, I had to create a view of it. A synonym wouldn't work. In fact using a synonym locked up SQLPLUS for Windows and I had to kill it with CTRL+ALT+DEL !

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com

Incoming fire has the right of way!