Re: Oracle Error ORA-03113 End of Communication Channel

From: Mark Jordan <c41mej_at_dso.hac.com>
Date: 1995/08/15

I have experienced the ORA-03113 error on a few occasions on Solaris 2.3 and on and Alpha OSF/1 using SQL*Net v2.1. On the SUN, the error manifests itself when you have multiple DBWR processes running and try to perform some DDL function. In my case, ORA-03113 occurred when I tried to drop a temporary tablespace. It also caused my database to crash. Oracle's Tech Support solution for this was to bring up the instance with only one DBWR process when I wanted to perform these kind of maintenence tasks. Bug # 178831. There is a patch. But they recommend upgrading to 7.1.6.

On the Alpha, my problem occurred because I had SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME set too low in SQLNET.ORA. This is also a bug, and I don't think it is restricted to the Alpha. Reportedly fixed in 7.1.6. Check this parameter and make sure it is set at 30 minutes or higher. Or, just forget about those dead connections.

Mark Jordan
EDS/Delco Systems Operations Received on Tue Aug 15 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message