Re: Raw device type for data files

From: Mhuney <mhuney_at_aol.com>
Date: 1995/08/15

I think you are incorrect about this. I have done quite a few installs and managed quite
a few Oracle databases and performance is important. I you are skilled then backups
will not be a problem. Also from a unix perspective you are limiting your exposure to
potential datafile loss. When using regular filesystems as opposed to raw you have
to deal with things like an inexperienced SA or DBA accedentally removing database
files ( Yes it does happen ), but something of more concern is the situation where the
unix system crashes (This also happens) and when it comes backup there is an
inode incosistency on one of the filesystems that has an Oracle database file on it,
and that inode incosistency cannot be repaired you will have problems. One last
thing, depending on the platform the performance increase can be anywhere from 20 to
50%. Also on unix systems you will benefit in other ways, such as decreased boot
times, and a small increase in available memory since there Unix buffer cache may not
need to be as big. Most of my experience with Oracle has come from working on Unix
systems, but I hate to see people recommend not using Raw devices with out a better
reason than given.

Mike H.

Subject:	Re: Raw device type for data files
From:	torsten_at_diver.muc.de (Torsten Reichert)
Date:	Tue, 08 Aug 1995 07:30:25 -0500

After installing and managing a lot of oracle databases I can say that there is
no need to do raw devices with oracle databases. The loss of backup security is much bigger than the winning of performance!

Torsten Reichert                              e-mail: torsten_at_diver.muc.de
                                              office: treicher_at_oracle.com
                                              www:
http://www.muc.de/~torsten

disclaimer: these are my own opinions not those of my corporation!

  • Headers -------------------- Path: newsbf01.news.aol.com!newstf01.news.aol.com!uunet!in1.uu.net!news.mathwork s.com!zombie.ncsc.mil!simtel!swidir.switch.ch!scsing.switch.ch!news.belwue. de!news.dfn.de!news.uni-augsburg.de!lrz-muenchen.de!informatik.tu-muenchen. de!news.muc.de!news-admin From: torsten_at_diver.muc.de (Torsten Reichert) Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle Subject: Re: Raw device type for data files Date: Tue, 08 Aug 1995 07:30:25 -0500 Organization: MUC.DE e.v -- private Internet access Lines: 11 Message-ID: <hj1JwIVGgSRU083yn_at_diver.muc.de> References: <DBKzKy.1xE_at_iquest.net> Reply-To: torsten_at_diver.muc.de NNTP-Posting-Host: diver.muc.de