Re: PMON killed, I can't start Oracle

From: Nalini Vallampati <no email>
Date: 1995/08/14

>In article <NEWTNews.30773.808282950.dkaufman_at_mcs.mcs.com> David Kaufman
 writes:

>> This morning I accidentally killed the PMON ( hurriedly used the wrong PID ).

>> Now my Oracle instance won't start. I get the following messages:
>>
>> SQLDBA > connect internal
>> Connected.
>> SQLDBA > startup mount
>> DBA-00342: unable to complete internal login
>> ORA-00472: PMON process terminated with error
>> SQLDBA >
>>
>> The server messages and codes manual asks me to check the background process
>> trace file, and then shutdown and restart the instance. But I am not able
>> shutdown the database. Any command I execute gives me the above two
>> error messages. What went wrong ?
>>
>> I am running Oracle 7.1.4 on AT&T SVR4 Rel 2.03.01.
>>
>> I would appreciate any help. Thanks
>>
>> Nalini Vallampati
>> AT&T Credit
>> Maimisburg, Ohio 45342
>>
>Have you tried entering the command
>Shutdown Abort
>?
>
>This will always kill a rogue database. If you just want to start it up
>again with an automatic shutdown, try
>Startup Force
>This does the shutdown abort and then restarts the database with a startup
>open.
>
>David Kaufman
>Managing Consultant

I noted your suggestions down for future reference. However, the problem detected
was that the shared memory area was full, so I cleared the shared memory area (with help from Tech support ).

$ ipcs -b
IPC status from /dev/kmem as of Mon Aug 14 10:11:36 1995 T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP QBYTES Message Queues:
T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP SEGSZ Shared Memory:

m      0 0x4c0635b9 -Crw-rw-r--   lanman      sys  73728
m      1 0x2a399db4 -Crw-r-----  oracle7      dba4386816 <------- !!!!
T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP NSEMS
Semaphores:
s      0 0x00000000 --ra-r-----  oracle7      dba    25
s      1 0x00000000 --ra-r-----  oracle7      dba    25
$
$ ipcrm -m 1

$ ipcs -b
$ IPC status from /dev/kmem as of Mon Aug 14 10:11:36 1995 T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP QBYTES Message Queues:
T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP SEGSZ Shared Memory:
m      0 0x4c0635b9 -Crw-rw-r--   lanman      sys  73728
                  < shared memory cleared here >
T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP NSEMS
Semaphores:
s      0 0x00000000 --ra-r-----  oracle7      dba    25
s      1 0x00000000 --ra-r-----  oracle7      dba    25
$

Then I did a 'startup mount' and 'alter database open'. The instance started immediately.

I appreciate your help.

Nalini Vallampati
UNIX Admin./Oracle DBA
AT&T Credit
Miamisburg, Ohio 45342 Received on Mon Aug 14 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message