Re: What makes an Oracle Programmer a DBA?

From: Tim Boemker <tim_boemker_at_zacatecas.optimum.com>
Date: 1995/08/14

In article <1995Aug11.080544.5829_at_inet.d48.lilly.com> Frustrated writes:

> I pose the question what makes an Oracle Programmer a DBA?

Years of experience do not necessarily qualify anyone to be a DBA. A DBA's job is mostly one of organization, although the tools and tasks used at almost every step require technical skill. A background with relational databases is important, but six months of programming would be enough for some people. More important, to me, would be evidence of organizational ability and leadership. I'd hire such a candidate as an apprentice DBA with the expectation that in a year he'd be able to work on his own. I consider reading more valuable (and a lot cheaper) than short courses.

Tim Boemker
Optimum Group
(513) 577-7785 Received on Mon Aug 14 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message