Re: Disabling rollback. Is it possible?

From: Andrew Esplan <magpie_at_netspace.net.au>
Date: 1995/08/13

chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com (Chuck Hamilton) wrote:

>Is there any way to disable rollback either on a single transaction or
>on the entire database? I can't tell you how many times during the
>design and testing phase of our data warehouse project that rollback
>segments have become a real pain in the neck! There are times that it
>seems like the database gets in our way more than it helps us and it's
>almost always to do with rollback segments.
>We are still at a point in our project where there are no users on the
>system. Just one developer. I don't know the proper terminology, but
>there's got to be some way to tell the database we don't care about
>rolling back transactions, or concurrency issues. Actually, even when
>the database goes live we won't care about this because it's a data
>warehouse, nothing ever changes except for one weekend per month and
>during that time the database will be inaccessible.

I know this response is late, I think my news server lost the thread, but here goes anyway...

Chuck, it's great to find someone else who doesn't want to use all of Oracle's wonderful recovery features, these are often not required in a Data Warehouse environment. I don't know which version of Oracle you are using but you should have a look at V7.2. It contains a feature which allows you to disable logging for nominated tables, I think it goes something like CREATE TABLE...NO RECOVERY. It will certainly work in a CREATE TABLE AS SELECT scenario, I am not sure if it extends to all operations on the table (i.e. LOADER, UPDATE, DELETE, INSERT etc). I am still waiting for Oracle to release 7.2 for the Pyramid DC/OSX platform, I can't wait because it includes many performance improvements for Data Warehousing.

Andrew Esplan Email: magpie_at_netspace.net.au Work: 61-3-9243-3528 Fax: 61-3-9459-1355 Home: 61-3-9882-3488 Melbourne, Australia Received on Sun Aug 13 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message