Re: Distributed Database Issues

From: PKelley772 <pkelley772_at_aol.com>
Date: 1995/08/12

In Oracle 7 documentation (either App Dev guide or Server Concepts, I forget which), Oracle suggests that snapshots are easier to "develop" and maintain than user-written triggers. I'm sure that this would be the case for me - I'd rather use a snapshot than write exception handlers and other such things. However, I recently started work at a site where Oracle supposedly installed and tested  a "symmetric replication" package (I suppose this is the multiple-master system of which you spoke) that seems to address the difficulties of using a non-snapshot approach. Items to be replicated are registered into tables, and the Oracle package takes care of the rest, handling network outages and deadlocks. No-one I  spoke with mentioned writing any RPCs . I recall being told that this package will work with 7.2 and that a white paper was written based at least in part on the work done here. Received on Sat Aug 12 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message