Re: Oracle DATE datatype storage.

From: Theresa Stone <stone2_at_niehs.nih.gov>
Date: 1995/08/11

In article <3v0gi8$cv1_at_helios.vanderbilt.edu>, Randy Fought <FOUGHTRL_at_CTRVAX.VANDERBILT.EDU> writes...
> Internally Oracle stores the DATE datatype in seven bytes.
>One byte for each of the century, year, month, day, hour, minute
>and second.
>
> We don't care about the hour, minute and second and we have
>many dates to store. This seems quite wasteful to store this in
>seven bytes when it could be done in four. Is there a way to internally
>store the date in four bytes?
>
>Randy

You could store them as a number or char but you lose something. You'll have to decide whether the space savings is worth it or not.

Theresa Received on Fri Aug 11 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message