Re: Running PL\SQL script from command line

From: Doug Henderson <djhender_at_canuck.com>
Date: 1995/08/10

tci_at_netcom.com (Jack Tolson) wrote:

->I am new to Oracle, and I am using SQLPLUS. Is there anyway to execute a *.sql script from
->the command line. Something like

->sqlplus -p filename.sql?

->Help please. Oracle must have something like this???????

I regularly use (from a shell script)

sqlplus -s user/pwd << _EOF_EOF_
(sqlplus commands)
exit
_EOF_EOF_ The "-s" for silent, suppresses signon messages, and the prompt. I found that some versions of sqlplus did not properly recognize the end-of-file, so including an explicit exit is safer.

To execute a script from a file, use the '_at_' character.

sqlplus -s user/pwd _at_script.sql

here the effect is as though the first command was an "_at_script.sql" The "_at_script.sql" behaves somewhat like "start script.sql" with some advantages: you can pass arguments to the script which are referenced as "&1", "&&2", etc.

--
Doug Henderson, Glen Coulee Consulting, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
[Sent using Free Agent 1.0]