Re: Using Shutdown Immediate

From: Leng Kaing <leng_at_cougar.vut.edu.au>
Date: 1995/08/10

Hans Forbrich (forbrich_at_supernet.ab.ca) wrote:
: Stefan Estus (estus_at_bard.edu) wrote:
: > I'm writing a cold backup script for our databases and I'm seeking
: > some advice on shutdown immediate. I would like to ensure that all connections
: > to the database are closed; thus I have writen a shell script to kill all
: > user processes. It has been my experience that they don't always die! My
: > questions is: is it ok to do a shutdown immediate, startup, shutdown normal,
: > and then start my backup? What are the pros and cons?

: > Thanks..

: > Stefan Estus estus_at_bard.edu
: > Bard College RS/6000 AIX 3.2.5

: If you are going to do that kind of cycling, why not shutdown abort?

: Actually, the method you suggest is that one I personally use -
: shutdown normal is too patient (although I've used abort
: frequently with no problems, it's too abrupt for my comfort)

Oracle has actually warned us from using shutdown abort. You should only do this when there is no other way of shutting down, or when instructed by Oracle themselves. Otherwise don't use it at all. Abort also produces a coredump each time. And recovery must take place. Recovery is obviously very long.

I use shutdown immediate immediate too. I've tried shutdown normal, but the user wouldn't log off. So you wait forever!!

HTH,
Leng.

--
                       Standard Disclaimer Applies

Leng Kaing
Software Consultant/DBA      _at_
Dept of IT&S                _at_|@        Tel:   +61-3-688-4368
VUT - Footscray Campus        \|/      Fax:   +61-3-688-4800
PO Box 14428, MMC             ) (      Email: leng_at_tiger.vut.edu.au
Melbourne 3000, Australia    (___)     WWW:   http://www.vut.edu.au/~leng