Re: Reverse engineering of database definitions

From: Michael Sanders <msanders_at_globalcom.net>
Date: 1995/08/10

>Regarding the shortcomings of S-Designor I may add that the names of
>primary/foreign key constraints are not preserved but generated by
>S-Designor during reverse engineering (of DDL script, not sure about
>direct database access via ODBC).
>That was a K.O. criterion in a recent project where we used DB2-DDL
>(generated by a mainframe-based data dictionary) for an ORACLE
>database. We had to preserve the DD/DB2 object names (or invent
>similar names for primary key constraints f.i.).

Have you tried TabGen. The product is from SSCD SQL*Group and the DDL it generates is in real-time. Best of all it's cheap and it works. The DDL is an exact data structure of the Oracle RDBMS. The software runs on almost any operating system. We use it for taking "SNAPSHOTS" of the development effort and the portability issues for the production instance.

SSCD voice is 800-557-SSCD

Hope it Helped. Received on Thu Aug 10 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message