Re: (no subject)

From: Sybrand Bakker <Sybrand.Bakker_at_bentley.nl>
Date: 1995/08/09

Patrick Schymitzek <weschp_at_itwol.bhp.com.au> wrote:
>Hi!
> We are running SQL*Net V2 on an RS/6000, successfully communicating
>from PCs with SQL*Net V2. Some PCs, however, have SQL*Net V1 installed.
>I understand I need to add something like:
>
>plmt = t:itwhpmd1:plmt
>
>into my "tnsnames.ora" file, which defines an alias for the V1 connect
>string. This doesn't work for me.
>I get the following:
>
>ERROR: ORA-06136: NETTCP: error during connection handshake
>or me.
>
>Can anyone shed any light?
>Thanks,
>..Patrick.

Patrick,

SQL*Net v1 and v2 are incompatible products. They only included the v1 connect string in tnsnames.ora to make migration more easy. V1 and V2 can however coexist, so you have to install and run a V1 listener on your server. On the client you can connect to the V1 listener by specifying your 't:itwhpmd1:plmt' connect-string. I don't know whether you included an alias in your v1 client oracle.ini files. This might be useful. The syntax is
sqlnet dbname plmt=t:itwhpmd1:plmt

Hope this helps

Sybrand Bakker
Senior IS Analyst
Bentley Systems Europe

All standard disclaimers apply Received on Wed Aug 09 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message