Re: Using Shutdown Immediate

From: Yee Lew <bk290_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: 1995/08/08

Stefan Estus (estus_at_bard.edu) writes:
> I'm writing a cold backup script for our databases and I'm seeking
> some advice on shutdown immediate. I would like to ensure that all connections
> to the database are closed; thus I have writen a shell script to kill all
> user processes. It has been my experience that they don't always die! My
> questions is: is it ok to do a shutdown immediate, startup, shutdown normal,
> and then start my backup? What are the pros and cons?
>
> Thanks..
>
> Stefan Estus estus_at_bard.edu
> Bard College RS/6000 AIX 3.2.5

Doing a shutdown immediate is the only way I can boot users off the system and keep them from logging on again. I would do the startup in exclusive mode to prevent users from logging on.

Regards,

Yee Lew
Oracle DBA/Programmer Analyst Received on Tue Aug 08 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message