Re: Terrible Technical Support

From: Donna J. Molinari <molinari_at_aimnet.com>
Date: 1995/08/08

I also have been having problem getting good Oracle Support. I had an issue, and I didn't get called for three weeks, and then they closed it without solving the issue------- I need answers ASAP, not weeks and weeks of no answers at all. I am so frustrated right now, I can't even get to the point of installing Oracle from a CD, because I keep getting errors of "cannot execute binary file of "orainst.cm" after issuing the command ./orainst in the /cdrom/orainst directory......

I need to install Oracle ASAP, but I can't even get close... Each Technical Support person keeps passing the problem on to someone else. I call back and leave voicemail, but don't get a call back... I am very tired of it... I have to get it installed.... time is pressing for me now and I am out of patience. I dread calling Oracle Technical Support, knowing I will have to keep wasting time trying to get help, when

I never do......                        Donna J. Molinari
*************************************** molinari_at_ACIUS.COM **********

cdg_at_ix.netcom.com (Craig Kasold) wrote:

> This may not be of any help, BUT ORACLE support is a lot better today
> then they were 4-5 years ago. Then you would ALMOST always get into a
> 'call back' situation, and they would promise to call you back in 12
> hrs or so (sometimes in 24 hrs), and they would not call for two maybe
> three days. I was in a benchmark environment and could not wait that
> long, so when the called back I told ORACLE I finally did a work around
> or did something to get the problem solved. ORACLE, at that time just
> wasted money and time. Today, you at least get someone to answer the
> phone and TRY to help. I admit that some of the people do NOT know
> what they are doing, but you normally get SOME help, and if you push
> hard enough, you do get someone who is EXTREAMLY knowledgable about the
> product.
> Craig
> cdg_at_ix.netcom.com
>

> In <3vqhbs$60v_at_ixnews7.ix.netcom.com> gato01_at_ix.netcom.com (Irvin
> Betts) writes:
> >
> >In <274476403wnr_at_ombomb.demon.co.uk> "F.Frederick Skitty"
> ><Igotan_at_ombomb.demon.co.uk> writes:
> >

> >>As my learned Australian colleague (Gordon Hooker) said, if Oracle
 are
> >>busy dealing with customers who decided that their data is important
 and
> >>have paid for more than the bogo standard support, then everyone else

 will
> >>have to wait, rightly so.
> >>
> >>So many companies reach for the phone at the first sign of an error,
 when
> >>they could so easily not have to if they had someone experienced
> >in-house to deal with it (or maybe even to prevent it happening in the

> >first place
> >>
> >I disagree with that statement. I have been working with Oracle
> >products since version 4 and have had a history of bad technical
> >support. In my current position, my company has a 7x24 database
> >situation and silver support - we recently had a problem with the
> >database and I received the same level of non-support when I called
> >re the "downed production system" option....I generally do not call
> >Tech Support until I have exhausted all other options - unfortunately,

> >most of the time they are unable to help me and I must start
 contacting
> >other oracle people to find an answer.
> >
> >Right now, I have a problem configuring one of my databases because of
> >a bug in their configuration scripts that they are (currently)
 unwilling