Re: Using Shutdown Immediate

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_supernet.ab.ca>
Date: 1995/08/07

Stefan Estus (estus_at_bard.edu) wrote:
> I'm writing a cold backup script for our databases and I'm seeking
> some advice on shutdown immediate. I would like to ensure that all connections
> to the database are closed; thus I have writen a shell script to kill all
> user processes. It has been my experience that they don't always die! My
> questions is: is it ok to do a shutdown immediate, startup, shutdown normal,
> and then start my backup? What are the pros and cons?

> Thanks..

> Stefan Estus estus_at_bard.edu
> Bard College RS/6000 AIX 3.2.5

If you are going to do that kind of cycling, why not shutdown abort?

Actually, the method you suggest is that one I personally use - shutdown normal is too patient (although I've used abort frequently with no problems, it's too abrupt for my comfort)

I'd suggest the startup be exclusive to ensure noone can sneak in.

/Hans Received on Mon Aug 07 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message