Re: Oracle VS Sybase

From: Porus H. Havewala <porus_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: 1995/08/07

> Has anyone done a comparative study of Oracle and Sybase database?
>
> If so, can I have a copy of the outcome? What were the comparision criteria.
> I am in a process of selecting a RDBMS and a set of application development
> tools. Any help will be appreciated.

Looked at Sybase in late 1993, vis-a-vis Oracle, to select the best database platform and development technology for my company in Australia. Parallel server technology in Oracle was far superior to any other database, in that Oracle achieves near-linear performance increase on SMP paltforms with increase in number of processors. This was factor one - the state of the art technology that is demonstrable in Oracle.

The other factor was application development. Oracle's development tools are tightly integrated with the database. Forms 4.0 (now 4.5) enabled us to develop applications without mucking around with writing odbc calls every now and then. All Sybase could demonstrate at that time were third party tools such as Paradox - this was what they showed in a seminar I attended.

The most important factor in favor of Oracle was CASE - Oracle has an entire suite of Case tools (then Case 5.1, now Designer 2000) that had a TOTAL BRIDGE to the production environment. Meaning, you can draw an E.R. diagram using Case, then translate it to an Oracle database (most other ER tools stop at this point). In the case of Oracle, you go much further - you can also draw function hierachies and module data models and translate them into actual menus, forms and reports in Forms 4.0/4.5 and Reports 2.0/2.5. This total bridge from case to development is something lacking drastically in many other development product sets.

We looked no further - Oracle Case was the superior product, by far.

Regards,

Porus. Received on Mon Aug 07 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message