Re: Are there any good 3rd party monitoring tools for Oracle on Unix?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_supernet.ab.ca>
Date: 1995/08/07

Craig S. Mullins (MULLC_at_platinum.com) wrote:

> In article <MARY.95Aug2094038_at_gulper.mitra.com> mary_at_mitra.com (Mary E. Hunt) writes:

> >From: mary_at_mitra.com (Mary E. Hunt)
> >Subject: Are there any good 3rd party monitoring tools for Oracle on Unix?
> >Date: 02 Aug 1995 13:40:38 GMT

> >We are developing an application which will use Oracle (7.1.3) on a
> >Sun Solaris 2.4. Customers who will be running this application will
> >not know anything about Oracle.

> >I want to simplify the monitoring process. I was wondering if there
> >are any 3rd party easy-to-use monitoring tools. I.e. Something that
> >shows them how much free space is left in a tablespace. Something
> >that will help them to extent the tablespace, etc... Preferably a GUI
> >interface would be great.

> >Also, are there other companies out there that are in a similar
> >situation, where they package Oracle with there software? What do you
> >provide a customer who doesn't know anything about Oracle and DBA
> >activities? Any advice about this would be greatly appreciated.

> >Thanks in advance for any help.

> >Mary Hunt

Mary,

There are a number of reasonable tools out there. My personal favorite is DBVision from Platinum Techology. Highly recommended.

If you're looking for an ultra-cheap way, then implement the scripts found in 'Oracle 7.0 Administration & Management' by Ault. (I'd recommend that book in any case).

/Hans Received on Mon Aug 07 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message