Re: Can PO 7 talk with remote Oracle databases?

From: Thomas J Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/08/07

"D:WINSOCKKA9QSPOOLMAIL" <smb_at_smcewan.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>PO7 cannot be distributed.

There are two versions of PO7. One is completely standalone. This is the copy you have to eval probably. It cannot do distributed things, in particular 2PC cannot be done.

>We are using Oracle in our new company strategy and had the eval. of
>PO7. We wanted to distribute this and asked Oracle how. They told us
>that PO7 is geared towards Workgroups and is the full Oracle 7 with
>the distributed bits removed (Dist. DB / Replication).

Personal Oracle7 extended edition (which is production) does the distributed stuff. The following is my banner from SQL*Plus when I log into my local PO7 database:

Personal ORACLE7 Release 7.1.4.1.0 - Production Release With the distributed option
PL/SQL Release 2.1.4.0.0 - Production

SQL> It has the distributed option. This gives you dist update with 2pc and basic replication (read-only snapshots from SOME OTHER server to your pc). A future release, 7.2, will support updateable snapshots as well.

>However, it does employ snapshots if you can utilise them.

If the version you have does snapshots, then you have the version with the distributed option which implies you have distributed PO7 which conflicts your first statement.

>The answer, although more expensive (Good Ploy), is Oracle Enterprise
>Server which is the all singing-all dancing version.

Not a good 'ploy' really. You must ask yourself.... Does it makes sense for a 'WINDOWS' PC to be a server? Is windows a server platform? No it is not. If you have OS/2, Windows/NT, or SCO you can have a server on an Intel platform. windows or windows/95 doesn't quite cut it...

PO7 can be a client of another database. It can participate in a 2pc with any other database. It CANNOT be contacted by another database (it cannot be a "server" to anyone but the PC it is located on). In short, PO7 looks and acts like any other Oracle7 database in a networked environment-- the only catch is it doesn't have a listener (orasrv for sqlnet v1).

>--
>| Stuart Barber EMail smb_at_ |
>| Mail sent via Demon Internet - Full IP for 10/Month Tel:0181 371 1234 |

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government Received on Mon Aug 07 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message