Re: Pro*C and stored procedure preformance

From: Doug Henderson <djhender_at_canuck.com>
Date: 1995/08/06

nickjost_at_ix.netcom.com (Nick Jost ) wrote:

>Currently I have sql statements in a Pro*C program I am working on.
>One of my co-workers suggested that I use stored procedures to increase
>preformance. My question is, does it?

>I figured that the SQL, once the Pro*C was compiled, was in it's
>tightest form hence a function call would only slow things down. Has
>anyone done trials on this showing a net difference one way or the
>other?

>Nicholas Jost
>Programmer/Analyst RxNet

Your Pro*C program executes on the client machine. The stored procedure executes on the server machine. When these are two different machines, the time required to transfer data between the two contexts is very obvious. Even when client and server are the same machine, there is some overhead involved in transfering data between the two contexts.

Then, too, you need to compare the relative performance on a slow but lightly loaded client machine with that of a fast but heavily loaded server.

There is not simple, general answer.

--
Doug Henderson, Glen Coulee Consulting, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
[Sent using Free Agent 1.0]