CATPROC.SQL: getting -- 'command buffer space exhausted'

From: David N. Skonieczny <dskez_at_interaccess.com>
Date: 1995/08/05

I am attempting to install PO7.1. I choose the customized option to create my database. Although, I have done this numerous times on Novell, UNIX and PO7 platforms, I am experiencing some frustrating results.

I followed these steps:

  ran the 'CREATE DATABASE...' statement without problems choosing a SYSTEM tablespace of 60M

  Ran CATALOG.SQL with no problems

  Ran CATPROC.SQL with problems

During the run of the CATPROC script ( which calls many other scripts ) I experienced the message 'command buffer space exhausted' multiple times and finally got a GPE from PL/SQL. I attempted this again after shutting down the database and the PC. I received the same messages and GPE.

I then ran the individual scripts called by CATPROC one by one. I found the script that produces this feedback is 'prvtsql.plb'.

I tried to see if I had a buffer space parameter set in my SQL*PLUS session too low but I couldn't find a parameter that controls this.

I am not sure what is causing this error, my individual settings, a bug in my version of RDBMS (Personal ORACLE7 Release 7.1.4.1.0 - 90 day trial license.) or my version of SQL*PLUS (SQL*Plus: Release 3.1.3.7.2 - Production ) or a bug in the 'prvtsql.plb' script.

I will be calling ORACLE on this during business hours but hopefully I can find the answer out here and then warn others.

Thanks for the effort

dave n. skonieczny

Quest Consulting Inc.
P.O. Box 2945
Naperville, IL 60567
(708) 359-4190 Received on Sat Aug 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message