How do I query an Oracle database remotely ?

From: Yezdi Lashkari <yezdi_at_media.mit.edu>
Date: 1995/08/05

I want to query an Oracle Workgroup server from a remote host using a TCP connection. The remote process needs to make an SQL query, and suck in the data from the result over a network connection and then arrange it in memory to fiddle with it.

I am quite a newbie to Oracle. The SQL*Net docs we received with the product are, shall we say, inadequate :-) I looked at the FAQ mentioned in this newsgroup, but the SQL*Net link is broken.

I'm sure this is a question that has been asked again and again. Could someone who has done this before please help ? The remote process will be running on a UNIX workstation so I would guess that socket connections are the way to go. We currently are using Oracle Workgroup on a pentium with OS2 but we may shift to Oracle on an SGI challenge UNIXX workstation in the future.

Please reply directly to me (yezdi_at_media.mit.edu) as I do not read news frequently.

Thanks!
Yezdi Received on Sat Aug 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message