Re: Terrible Technical Support

From: Craig Kasold <cdg_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/08/05

This may not be of any help, BUT ORACLE support is a lot better today then they were 4-5 years ago. Then you would ALMOST always get into a 'call back' situation, and they would promise to call you back in 12 hrs or so (sometimes in 24 hrs), and they would not call for two maybe three days. I was in a benchmark environment and could not wait that long, so when the called back I told ORACLE I finally did a work around or did something to get the problem solved. ORACLE, at that time just wasted money and time. Today, you at least get someone to answer the phone and TRY to help. I admit that some of the people do NOT know what they are doing, but you normally get SOME help, and if you push hard enough, you do get someone who is EXTREAMLY knowledgable about the product.
Craig
cdg_at_ix.netcom.com

In <3vqhbs$60v_at_ixnews7.ix.netcom.com> gato01_at_ix.netcom.com (Irvin Betts) writes:

>In <274476403wnr_at_ombomb.demon.co.uk> "F.Frederick Skitty"
><Igotan_at_ombomb.demon.co.uk> writes:
>

>>As my learned Australian colleague (Gordon Hooker) said, if Oracle
 are
>>busy dealing with customers who decided that their data is important
 and
>>have paid for more than the bogo standard support, then everyone else

 will
>>have to wait, rightly so.
>>
>>So many companies reach for the phone at the first sign of an error,
 when
>>they could so easily not have to if they had someone experienced
>in-house to deal with it (or maybe even to prevent it happening in the

>first place
>>
>I disagree with that statement. I have been working with Oracle
>products since version 4 and have had a history of bad technical
>support. In my current position, my company has a 7x24 database
>situation and silver support - we recently had a problem with the
>database and I received the same level of non-support when I called
>re the "downed production system" option....I generally do not call
>Tech Support until I have exhausted all other options - unfortunately,

>most of the time they are unable to help me and I must start
 contacting
>other oracle people to find an answer.
>
>Right now, I have a problem configuring one of my databases because of
>a bug in their configuration scripts that they are (currently)
 unwilling