Re: HELP: Info about ORACLE7 Performance on RAID

From: Jim Gregory <jim.gregory_at_DaytonOH.attgis.com>
Date: 1995/08/04

My admittedly limited experience with RAID 3 and 5 has been that you will see some improvement with high intensity query applications ( I've used it in a data warehousing application with some good results ). I've not seen much improvement if any in an OLTP application.

Depending on the stripeing method, it can be a real nightmare to recover from a disk failure within the array. If multiple tabllspaces are striped such that a single disk within the array contains parts of each TS, multiple tablespaces may have to be recovered ( anything that has a piece on that disk )

I'm sure others more knowledgable than I will have other words of wisdom that I'm very much interested in also.

Jim Gregory
>>==========Peter Constantinou, 8/3/95==========

>>Does any one have experience of ORACLE7 applications running on RAID disk
>>arrays. I have been told that performance is poor for Oracle V6
>>applications,
>>but cannot find anyone with experience of ORACLE7.
>>
>>FYI The application is ORACLE7 v7.0 running on IBM RS/6000 under AIX 3.2.5
>>(soon to be ORACLE7 v7.1 under AIX v4.0). We are looking to purchase 12Gb
>>of
>>Seagate or IBM based RAID (configured for RAID level 5).
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any info
>>
>>Peter C
>>
>>--
>>rosepete_at_xs4all.nl Phone: +31 10 4987 727 Fax: +31 10 2120 295
>>EDS BV, Electronic Data Systems, The Netherlands.

Views and opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect my empoyer's or client's. Received on Fri Aug 04 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message